You may have noticed there’s different styles of Book Folds and each of these have different names so we can easily identify what to do with the pattern to get the right ‘look’
Here’s a list of terms and what they mean.
MMF – Measure, Mark Folds. This is the original style with 2 marks per page which you fold the page to.
CF – Cut and Fold. If a pattern has more than two marks per page within the pattern (some pages may still only have 2 marks per page) Then it’s a cut and fold. This can be used as the ‘umbrella’ term for all cut and folds. Many cut and fold patterns can be made in any of the different cut and fold methods using the same pattern. It’s what you DO to the measurements and tabs that affects the finished look. Some patterns will look best in a certain style or were made for a certain style so they may say ‘Combination cut and fold’ or ‘Shadow cut and fold’ in the title or description.
Here’s a breakdown of what they mean. There’s also a video here showing what each one is and how it’s made (minus 180 and Multi layer as these came out after the video)
- Inverted (innie) – All marks are cut and the even tabs are folded in. This is the basic/original cut and fold style. The design looks like it’s cut INTO the book face.
- Embossed (outie) – All marks are cut and the odd tabs are folded in. This is the opposite of the inverted, by folding in the opposite tabs you make the design stick OUT of the book face.
- Combi – Combination Cut and Fold (Folds first and last measurements, Cut and Fold the rest) This is a Combination of the MMF and Cut and Fold styles. The first and last measurements of each page are NOT cut, but folded to 90 degrees like an MMF. Then the rest of the measurements are cut and folded. This gives the same tabs sticking out as the embossed style but the design is ‘framed’ with top and bottom folded.
- Shadow – Shadow Cut and Fold – Every other page is ‘skipped’ to create the ‘shadow’ effect. So page 1 will have measurements cut and folded in the inverted cut and fold style., page 3 is skipped‘ (left bare and in it’s original state), page 5 has measurements, page 7 ‘skipped’ and so on. This creates a subtle looking ‘shadow’ effect in the book. These can be 180’d first to make the design stand out a little more as it lets more light into the book.
- Insets – Similar to the Shadow effect in layout but the ‘skipped’ pages are folded back 1cm and the pattern can be made as an inverted cut and fold or an embossed cut and fold. These don’t work well with high detail and can look ‘steppy’ because there are only half of the pages with the design on, the other pages are used to bulk out the book.
- 180 fold – all pages are folded back 1cm (or to depth of choice) to create the ‘base’ layer. Then the pattern is cut and folded onto this base. Here’s a post with more details about the 180 base
- Multi Layers – These patterns are essentially two patterns (or more) made into the same book. The first layer is made as an embossed cut and fold, then the second layer is made as an inverted cut and fold. Here’s the Free Heart Multi Layer pattern and video showing you how
Tell us how can we improve this post?
Log In is required for submitting new question.